Biorepository Technician Summer Internship
Location: Frederick, Maryland US
Job Id: 5332
Position Title: Intern
We are pleased to offer a full-time two-month, on-site internship opportunity in our Frederick, MD Biorepository for you to gain experience this summer working in our PPE compliant lab. You will assist in shipping & receiving; retrieving and preservation of biological samples that arrive daily or are stored in the repository.
This is a phenomenal opportunity for students focused in Biology or Chemistry who are eager to change patients' lives are encouraged to make a difference with us through the delivery of groundbreaking assay results using clinical specimens to accelerate drugs into the clinic.
We offer two shifts (eastern time zone);
- Shift A) Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 7am-6PM or;
- Shift B) Thursday, Friday & Saturday 7am-6pm and Wednesday 1pm- 6pm
The experience you will gain:
- Monitoring of our freezers: Responding to freezer alarms in accordance with standard operating procedures and monitoring freezers, refrigerator and room temperatures as assigned by Manager
- Receive biological samples: Unpacking specimens and recording all pertinent information in incoming shipment batch and incoming folder. Creating a folder to house all associated paperwork. Storing at appropriate temperature following guidelines set by procedures. Distributing confirmation of shipment receipt form.
- Receive supplies into inventory: Verifying shipment contents against packing list and quarantining Raw Materials for release by QA department.
- Inventory of Frozen Biological Samples: Checking information on sample vial against information provided by the study site. Scanning samples into data management system, BSI. Correcting paperwork where necessary and inform supervisor/manager of any discrepancies by generating a discrepancy report. Assisting in the inventory of returned specimens and Aliquoting frozen specimens utilizing aseptic technique.
- Retrieve Frozen Samples from Inventory: Pulling samples according to requisition, SOP, and instructions. Performing quality control verification of outgoing samples. Updating Outgoing Batch Records. Contacting receiving labs prior to shipment to confirm shipping address and ensure contact will be available to receive specimens. Completing all paperwork (link-up forms, aliquot forms, return forms or BSI data collection sheets and any other forms which may be vital).
- Miscellaneous: Carry out other duties/projects as assigned.
Minimum Required: High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Requires good attention to detail, excellent documentation skills and must work well in a group environment
- Familiarity with excel and basic functions with the program
- Must be a flexible teammate who can change activities and directions quickly and respond to a variety of assignment and changing business needs
- Ability to lift and carry between 31-50 lbs overhead with assistance; frequently required to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods; occasionally required to squat, bend, stoop, push, kneel, reach and perform tasks with repetitive motion; Will be exposed to a cold freezer environment (Freezer temperatures range between -20ºC -196ºC)
- Read, write, speak fluently and comprehend the English language
Preferred: 1 year of relevant lab experience, Basic laboratory skills.
Division: Precision For Medicine
Business Unit: Specialty Lab Services
Office Based: Frederick - 8425 Precision Way, Suite M, Frederick MD 21701
Employment Type: Non Exempt
Employment Status: Regular Full-time
Work From Home Available:
Country: United States
Community / Marketing Title: Biorepository Technician Summer Internship
Country: United States
Precision Medicine Group is an integrated team of experts in fields from advanced lab sciences to translational informatics, clinical trial delivery, and regulatory affairs, payer insights to marketing communications. Together, we help our pharmaceutical and life-sciences clients conquer product development and commercialization challenges in a rapidly evolving environment.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Precision Medicine Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. © 2020 Precision Medicine Group, LLC
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Precision Medicine Group at QuestionForHR@precisionmedicinegrp.com.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Frederick, Maryland US