Senior Data Scientist, Computational Biology
Location: Geneva, Geneva CH
Job Id: 4204
Position Title: Senior Data Scientist, Computational Biology
At Precision for Medicine, we believe that the era of one-size-fits-all medication is giving way to a next generation of treatments, medicines that will be more effective because they are prescribed according to the unique biology of an individual patient. Our mission is to help innovative biotech and pharmaceutical companies accelerate the development of these life-changing treatments. Precision does this by developing assays that utilize biomarkers to help identify the right patient for the right drug. We also handle every aspect of clinical trials from initial strategy and design to selecting sites and managing trial data.
QuartzBio’s (www.quartz.bio) mission is to help innovative biotech and pharmaceutical companies identify the right patients for their drugs through the use of mathematics and technology to identify meaning from large-scale molecular, clinical and phenotypic biomarker data sets. We have pioneered a technology enabled service platform capable of integrating and harmonizing data from samples, clinical information, and complex, multi-omic biomarkers, and continue to evolve this platform to meet the continual demands of translational data science, from both a data management and analytical computational biology perspective.
Does This Describe You?
- You understand that biological systems operate in non-linear ways, that there are mechanisms of regulation yet to be discovered, and are humbled by their complexity
- You are committed to the application of that knowledge to continually improve the woefully inadequate tools we currently use
- You are passionate about recent advances and applications in machine learning, and immediately skeptical when you hear the phrase “AI”
- You legitimately enjoy programming. In R.
- You are low ego, a truth seeker, and able to influence without authority
- The quality of your work product is important to you
Our Senior Data Scientists invent and apply novel technologies to model biological systems using mathematics. In this role you will collaborate with leading computational biologists, biostatisticians, data engineers and computer scientists using novel machine learning approaches, network biology, causal modeling and systems biology applications to build disease and drug mechanism of action models, match patients to potential therapies, repurpose existing compounds.
Our focus is to work with our clients to reduce the rate of failure in the clinic and bring needed therapies to patients as quickly as possible!
What Your Day-to-Day Will Look Like:
- Work with colleagues at the top of their field in data and knowledge engineering, machine learning and modeling, and computational biology
- Use novel machine learning approaches, network biology, causal modeling and systems biology applications to build disease and drug mechanism of action models, match patients to potential therapies, repurpose existing compounds
- De-silo public data and knowledge sources to help clients solve their translational medicine challenges
- Integrate and compute on established findings (results, insights) into a knowledgebase
- Perform source code validation and application testing
- Mentor junior staff working towards leading projects to completion
- Help scope out new project objectives and timelines, and write analysis plans when required
What You'll Need:
- PhD and 1-2 years of relevant experience; or
- Master’s Degree and 4-5 years of relevant experience; or
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Degree concentration in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Data Science, Biostatistics, Biology or related field
- Expert knowledge of R programming
- Experience with source code management systems such as git
- Experience in network or other computational modeling techniques
- Understand the fundamentals of signaling biology, and can apply towards the interpretation of analyses
- Ability to present work internally and externally
- Ability to work independently with little to no instruction on routine work
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices selecting an approach for obtaining results
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Team player contributing to a positive, collaborative working environment
- Extended work hours may be required to meet business demands
- Must be able to read, write, speak fluently and comprehend the English language
- Previous experience with client delivery
- Experience with processing biomarker data such as high-content flow cytometry, high-throughput or targeted gene expression assays (e.g. Nanostring, RNA-Seq), or other specialty lab data (e.g., immunoassays, IHC, SNP genotyping, qPCR)
- Experience working with prior-knowledge driven, mechanistic modeling is a plus
Division: Precision For Medicine
Business Unit: QuartzBio
Office Based: Geneva - Avenue de Sécheron 15, Geneva, CH 1202
Employment Type: Exempt
Employment Status: Regular Full-time
Work From Home Available: No
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Data Scientist, Computational Biology
Precision Medicine Group is an integrated team of experts in fields from advanced lab sciences to translational informatics, clinical trial delivery, and regulatory affairs, payer insights to marketing communications. Together, we help our pharmaceutical and life-sciences clients conquer product development and commercialization challenges in a rapidly evolving environment.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Precision Medicine Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. © 2020 Precision Medicine Group, LLC
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Precision Medicine Group at QuestionForHR@precisionmedicinegrp.com.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Geneva, Geneva CH